Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

LEGO Star Wars...who knew?

I worked my first shift this week as an RN! I am working with a preceptor for the next few weeks so I am not solely caring for a full load of patients yet. I'm definitely grateful to not be alone yet, because I still feel like there is so much to learn. It is still kind of scary to know I am the nurse now. I'm sure confidence will come with time and practice.

I absolutely LOVE my job. Since I worked 3 12-hour shifts in a row this week, I got to care for some of the same patients for more than one shift. It's pretty fun to get to connect to your patient who is crying by saying "So, have you ever played LEGO Star Wars on the Wii?"


This week marks the third time a patient has stopped crying for a sec to say, "yes, I love that game." Then we have a discussion that consists of some crying sounds, talking about how Chewbacca pops off the arms of the Stormtroopers, and naming favorite characters while I go about my task at hand. I never expected the fact that I had played this game would help me with my job, haha.  It is such a blessing to get to help these sick kids.

With studying for the NCLEX, interviewing for jobs and starting a new job, life has been pretty busy. We've still done some fun things since I last posted.

Matt and I were able to go to the Atlanta Symphony for a free summer concert. The music was awesome. At BYU we were  able to go to concerts and plays frequently. It made me so happy to get to hear live classical music.


On the 4th of July we were able to spend time with Chad and Hillery and their kids, as well as Matt's sister Heather who was in town visiting a friend. We went swimming, had a BBQ, and then went to the home of a friend of their family to watch fireworks.

By coincidence, Matt's brother Chris happened to have a layover in Atlanta for a day while Heather was still here. There were more of Matt's siblings here in Atlanta then in Utah! Crazy :)

I was also able to help with a baby shower for a friend in my ward. Instead of doing a game, we decorated onesies for the baby. Here are two examples. It was so much fun, and they turned out really cute!


Life is good!

2 comments: