We visited the Biltmore estate, a 125,000 square foot mansion built by the Vanderbilt family in 1895. They wouldn't let us take pictures inside, but the outside and gardens are amazing! It is the house from the movie Richie Rich! 250 rooms, including tons of bedrooms, bathrooms, and an indoor pool in the basement!
Asheville, NC has a really cool antique car museum. They had a model T, and many other old cars. Matt is standing by a 1929 Chevrolet, a little different from our Malibu :) The car I am standing by is the Ford Edsel! Remember Elder Ballard's stories about this car???? This car was a huge flop because it wasn't as affordable as had been advertised, and is really long and ugly. They sold very few, but now it is a huge collector item worth a lot of money.
We were also able to visit Dupont National Forest Park, which was where the movie "The Hunger Games" was filmed! The forests were incredible, and the waterfalls pictured here were in the movie. Katniss finds Peeta injured by one of these waterfalls, and Katniss ran across one in the movie. We read that they actually had to lay down planks of wood for her to run across because the rocks and riverbottom are SO slippery.
Channeling my inner Katniss.
We drove through the Blue Ridge mountains on a road called Blue Ridge Parkway. It spans the length of the entire mountain range, winding up and down around the mountains.
Was it only our family that found Richie Rich entertaining when we were young? I don't think I know anyone else who's seen it.
ReplyDeletehaha, I don't know many others who have seen it. I don't know why our family loved it so much. Out of curiosity, Matt and I looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes and it didn't get the raving reviews that I gave it as a kid :)
Delete