Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Hiking a mountain....well, more like a tall hill

Ever since we moved here we have wanted to go hike Kennesaw Mountain.  It is a historic site of a Civil War battle where Union army leader Sherman and Confederate leader Johnston fought.  It was part of the strategy to capture Atlanta and cut off the rest of the southern states because Georgia was the most industrialized of the south, as well as being the connector of several major railway lines.  After this battle and the siege of Atlanta came Sherman's infamous march to the sea, burning practically everything along the way.

It is not a huge mountain compared to Utah by any means.  It felt like climbing to the Y in Provo, but maybe a bit steeper in places.  Also different because this mountain is a thick forest with somewhat marshy land throughout.  We took a trail to the top, and had a great view.  It was a bit of a hazy day out over the city so you can't see the tall downtown buildings in this photo, although we could from where we were standing.





I cannot imagine fighting a battle here, hauling up canons and trying to climb up the hillside through all the trees and foliage.  The battle took place in June of 1864.  I bet it was hot and humid.




Another first for us yesterday was going to Waffle House.  It is a restaurant that is EVERYWHERE!  I can't believe how many there are.  But I was a little apprehensive about going when I had heard some stories about it not being the most scrumptious and pretty greasy.  My cousin Trevor was shocked to find out that we had not gone to eat there even though we have lived here for a year.  He was not alone in his shock.  We were able to visit with Brent and Aubrey, two of our great friends.  They came out from Cincinnati to visit their family in Suwanee.  Upon learning of our lack of Waffle House experience ( at 11pm) Aubrey's sister Melissa said "Let's go right now!!!!"  So we drove ourselves on over to a Waffle House and had ourselves some hashbrowns, waffles, texas melts, and cheesy grits.  I feel very Southern now :)  It really was good.  Matt was so happy because he has been trying to get me to go for some time.  Grits are good, but a bit different than what I am used to.  The hashbrowns and waffles were really good.  Here are some pics from the momentous occasion.



  
Eating and contemplating what we think of grits....They are good!  We just didn't get a picture of the after reaction :)



 Brent and Aubrey are great friends.  We are glad we could hang out with them and their little guy Colton.  Both of their families are so nice and we're glad they invited us to spend time with them.  


One last update that I haven't posted on yet.  Matt spent a few weekends over in Alabama helping to do some tornado cleanup.  I cannot believe how many people have been affected by devastating tornadoes this year.  He went with some people from church.  He ran a chain saw to cut up trees and hauled debris.  



He went to a bunch of areas where the houses were completely gone.  In this area, some of the houses were still there.  I am glad he was able to go and help.

No comments:

Post a Comment